Career Taster Programme
Student work experience - 16-19 year olds
Are you interested in making a difference in your community? Keen to be involved in making decisions that affect the environmental, social and economic wellbeing of Whanganui?
Here at Whanganui District Council we're dedicated to making our community a better place to live, work and play for everyone, every day.
One of the most satisfying things about working with us is being in touch with the wider community and having an influence on the area you live in.
Keen to try something different? Are you interested in gaining work experience at Whanganui District Council? Are you aged between 16 and 19 years of age?
Working with Jason Shailer Youth Manager, 100% SWEET, Council area taking placements throughout the school year in 2019 / 2020 for work experience. The following information outlines the process you will need to follow to apply/register your interest and be selected for work experience with Council.
Usually, we will take students, for one day per week, for a full term through the year, for the rest of 2019 and through to 2020.
However, in most areas there will be flexibility in what days and times students can attend work experience if required.
To complete the application process ensure all questions on the application form are answered. Please upload / attach a copy of your CV/Resume and a covering letter telling us what interests you about Council along with which area you would like to work in.
The work areas that are available are as follows:
- Emergency Management - Civil Defence
- Planning - Resource Management, Consents
- Property - Parks and Buildings
- Communications - Media and Communications
- Compliance - Regulatory, Parking, Animal Management, Environmental Health
- Policy - Research & Engagement, Analytics, Legislation and Performance
- Human Resources - Our people, our culture
- Arts - Sarjeant Gallery
- Whanganui & Partners - Economic Development
- Libraries - Davis Library, Alexander, Gonville and our outreach library services
- I.T - Business Solutions, Solutions Delivery
- Venues & Events - Cooks Gardens, Royal Whanganui Opera House, War Memorial Hall, I-Site
- Finance - Financial accounting
- Infrastructure - Engineering in Roading, Three Waters, Asset Management
What happens once you have applied?
At Council we want to give you a good idea of what it is like working in a professional setting. So we want to start you off experiencing a realistic job application process right from you applying with us, attending an interview with feedback from your initial application or from the interview. If you are successful you will then undertake our on-boarding process with an orientation and induction to Council and the area you will be working in.
By all means if you have any questions or need any assistance in relation to the Career Taster Programme, the application process or any of the areas that may interest you please email: HRAdmin@whanganui.govt.nz and our HR Team will contact you to answer your query or contact Catherine Dutton on 06 349 3191 (Please do not send applications directly to this person).
We look forward receiving your application and welcoming you to the Council Team.